JEB logo

Journal of Environmental Biology

pISSN: 0254-8704 ; eISSN: 2394-0379 ; CODEN: JEBIDP

About Journal
    Editorial Board
    Reviewer Panel
    RnD Division
    Subscription Info
    Contact Journal
 
Read Journal
    Current Issue
    Journal Archives
 
For Authors
    Authoring Guidelines
    Publication Process
    Track Paper Status
 

Search the Journal web-site through Google:


        Abstract - Issue Sep 2018, 39 (5)                                                                                                             Back



nstantaneous and historical temperature effects on a-pinene

Fish diversity of an agriculturally influenced river in Bangladesh: Current profile, threats and management perspectives

 

Md. N. Siddiqye1, M.B. Hossain1,2,*, S.M.N Amin3 and Md. A. Ullah1

1Department of Fisheries and Marine Science, Noakhali Science and Technology University, Noakhali, 3814, Bangladesh

2Research Cell, Noakhali Science and Technology University, Noakhali, 3814, Bangladesh

3Department of Aquaculture, Faculty of Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia

*Corresponding Author E-mail: mbhnstu@gmail.com

 

 

 

Key words

Anthropogenic factors

Ecosystem

Endangered species

Fish conservation

Fish diversity

 

 

 

Publication Data

Paper received : 09.07.2017

Revised received : 07.10.2017

Re-revised received : 25.11.2017

Accepted : 28.12.2017

 

Abstract

Aim: Local and global stressors such as agricultural activities, climate change, habitat loss, eutrophication and pollution are the major causes of declining fish diversity. Therefore, for the management of fisheries and ecosystems, it is important to know the fish diversity of Little Feni River. The study was performed to know the diversity status of fishes in Little Feni River, Bangladesh during April - December, 2015.

 

Methodology: Fishes and their related data were collected from the Little Feni River of fish landing centers, fish markets, interviewing fishermen and arotdar (or known as commission agent).

 

Results: From this study, 47 species under 24 families were recorded in which 31 (66%) species were from freshwater and the remaining 16 (34%) species were from marine sources. Of the collected fishes, 26 species were categorized as not threatened (NT), 9 vulnerable (VU), 4 critically endangered (CR), 4 endangered (EN) and the remaining 9 could not be classified under the said list due to data deficient (DD). The results indicated the alarming decline of fish diversity in the investigated area in general and/or perhaps in the country as whole.

 

Interpretation: Long-term investigation, appropriate evaluation and proper documentation are urgently needed so that the public, investigators and policy makers would be able to know about the current status of fish diversity, and can take initiatives for proper conservation management practices towards the gradual decline of wild fish abundance in Little Feni River.

 

 

 

Copyright 2018 Triveni Enterprises. All rights reserved. No part of the Journal can be reproduced in any form without prior permission. Responsibility regarding the authenticity of the data, and the acceptability of the conclusions enforced or derived, rest completely with the author(s).