JEB logo

Journal of Environmental Biology

pISSN: 0254-8704 ; eISSN: 2394-0379 ; CODEN: JEBIDP

About Journal
    Editorial Board
    Reviewer Panel
    RnD Division
    Subscription Info
    Contact Journal
 
Read Journal
    Current Issue
    Journal Archives
 
For Authors
    Authoring Guidelines
    Publication Process
    Track Paper Status
 

Search the Journal web-site through Google:


        Abstract - Issue Sep 2018, 39 (5)                                                                                                             Back



nstantaneous and historical temperature effects on a-pinene

Stomach contents of Plotosus canius (Hamilton, 1822) in the coastal waters of Port Dickson, Peninsular Malaysia

 

B.I. Usman2, S.M.N. Amin1*, A. Arshad1, Mohd. S. Kamarudin1 and M.K. Abu Hena3

1Department of Aquaculture, Faculty of Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400, UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia

2Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture, Faculty of Agriculture, Bayero University, 700 241, Kano, Nigeria

3Department of Animal Science and Fishery, Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Bintulu Sarawak Campus, 97008, Malaysia

*Corresponding Author E-mail: smnabd@gmail.com

 

 

 

Key words

Index of preponderance

Opportunistic feeder

Plotosus canius

Stomach contents

Stomach fullness

 

 

 

Publication Data

Paper received : 20.03.2017

Revised received : 05.07.2017

Re-revised received : 30.09.2017

Accepted : 28.12.2017

 

Abstract

Aim: Grey-eel catfish, Plotosus canius, are euryhaline fish and native throughout South East Asia, but there is limited information regarding their feeding habits.     

 

Methodology: In this study, the stomach contents from 234 samples of P. canius were analysed from the coastal waters of Port Dickson, Peninsular Malaysia. Sampling was carried over a period of twelve months (January to December, 2012).      

 

Results: The study revealed that 61.54% of the stomachs contained food at various degrees of fullness, while the remaining (38.46%) were empty. According to index of preponderance (IP), the stomach contents in P. canius were composed of six major groups viz; fish and fish parts (38.00%), crustaceans (26.69%), molluscs (25.58%), sand and mud (6.68%), debris and detritus (2.99%) and unidentified items (0.06).

 

Interpretation: The diet composition revealed a wide range of prey items of animal origin indicating that the fish is carnivorous. The findings of the present study would be very useful for the development of aquaculture of the fish.

 

 

 

Copyright 2018 Triveni Enterprises. All rights reserved. No part of the Journal can be reproduced in any form without prior permission. Responsibility regarding the authenticity of the data, and the acceptability of the conclusions enforced or derived, rest completely with the author(s).